Unknown to the general public there exist several graves in Vienna of descendants of Beethoven's brother Karl van Beethoven. My article "The Beethoven Family Graves in Vienna" has recently been published in The Beethoven Journal (Winter 2016, Vol. 31, No. 2). It deals with these neglected sites and also adds important genealogical information that is missing in Joseph Schmidt-Görg's 1964 book Beethoven: die Geschichte seiner Familie, such as the place and date of death of Beethoven's grand-nephew Louis von Hoven. A pdf of this article can be downloaded from my website or from academia.edu.
© Dr. Michael Lorenz 2017.
Apr 19, 2017
- The Godchildren of Emanuel and Eleonore Schikaneder
- Unknown Stadler Documents
- The Family of Carl Schlechter
- George Szell's Marriage Documents
- The Violinist Dobieerczil: a Snapshot of Current Mozart Scholarship
- Johann Heinrich Schmelzer's Coat of Arms
- Two Seals of Joseph Haydn
- An Unknown Letter by Aloisia Lange
- A Godson of Albert Lortzing
- An Unknown Letter by Francesco Benucci
- Bonno Documents
- At the Grave of Joseph Sonnleithner
- Unknown Trattner Documents
- Unknown Godchildren of Ferdinand Raimund
- The Wedding of Franz Anton Hoffmeister
- Stealing for a Saint
This list is not complete. For obvious reasons some topics of research cannot be announced in advance.
Updated: 29 July 2017
Some readers have expressed concern regarding the decrease of the frequency of my posts in the last months. As I explained in June 2015, my research is extremely time-consuming and therefore very expensive. If an interested audience is not willing to support this blog with donations, it will have to be discontinued. The readers' unwillingness to acknowledge the costs of my efforts and the complicated nature of my current topics of research have massively curtailed the output of my scholarly work. Not everything on the Internet is free.